Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Freshman Ashley Camano Discusses Transition to Duke


The Blue Devils moved to 3-1 on the year after sweeping Longwood and No. 12 James Madison this past weekend. Duke opens ACC play Saturday, September 11 at No. 8 Wake Forest. A month into her collegiate career, freshman Ashley Camano discusses her transition to life at Duke University.


On August 10, 2010, I finally set foot into my dorm room at Duke University. This event would be exciting under any circumstances at any college for any student, but for me and the seven other freshmen field hockey players, this meant so much more than just a new bed to lie in at night. This meant the start of our careers on the Duke University field hockey team, a trip down a thrilling road, something that few people can partake in.


After a full day comparable to Christmas morning, receiving a full new wardrobe of Duke field hockey attire and accessories, it was time to get to work. The sole thing I could think about as I lay in bed that night was the inception of preseason – a double session of ROTC training with Colonel Mark Tribus. I had heard rumblings of the sort of drills we would be partaking in during our time with Colonel Tribus and I’d trained all summer for preseason, but didn’t know what I could possibly be getting myself into during the next few weeks.


Despite a physically and mentally exhausting time with Colonel Tribus, I realized that the ROTC training could not have come at a better time than it did. As the first day of preseason wound down and I sorely laid in my unfamiliar bed again on that following night, I realized that the team I worked with could very well, and already began to on that stifling hot day, become a family away from home to me.


Preseason continued and eventually the double session days became single session days (of course after experiencing our first away match in a scrimmage against Wake Forest and our first home scrimmage against North Carolina), and soon enough, there was nothing on my mind but our first weekend of real game play - the trip to Michigan to play Louisville and Michigan State. Every week there’s something else to look forward to and I can’t wait to experience all of these exciting events.


After nearly a month now, I can feel myself already making incredible new friends in my fellow teammates and I truly believe I’m learning something new and worthwhile everyday. Whether it be learning a new skill from the coaching staff, hearing a humorous story in the locker room before practice about someone’s mishaps during the day, or learning that I can always count on Susan Ferger to listen to pump-up country music with me before a game, I know that Duke is where I want to be, and where I’m meant to be.


Although being nearly eight hours from home posed a frightening hurdle, I have found myself too busy, too energized, and too excited to be homesick (sorry, Mom and Dad). Though at times grueling and daunting, looking down at my jersey and seeing the letters D-U-K-E screened across it during practice make all the sweat and bruises worthwhile – Duke field hockey is a team of ‘we not me,’ and the drive from my fellow teammates is enough to push me much further than I could ever imagine.


- Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment